I was going to create a request in github - but, thought of initiating a discussion here to understand how general sentiment towards this feature. Throwing these ideas based on my experience of being a vendor on tradingview platform.
Let’s say I have built a complete pipeline for a very generic use-case and I want to let others make use of this pipeline for a charge. Let’s say, I want to charge a monthly fee or fee based on number of executions. Meanwhile, I also want to protect my implementation (source code for any custom action components I have implemented).
At this point, it is not possible to do so as any implementation published will display the source code.
Possible Solution (List of new feature which may be required to fulfil this)
- Optionally, Create a separate subscription type for Authors/Vendors. Pipedream can think of charging higher subscription fees for these accounts.
- Allow public library where authors/vendors (if not creating new account type, this can also be allowed to any user) can freely write and publish their action components based on existing applications.
- Authors can publish them as either open source, or protected source or paid protected component.
- Paid components can be charged - per execution/per duration - can be planned further. You can also decide how the transactions can go? Will that be via pipedream or vendors can manage their own system.
- Pipedream can also take a cut from the vendor income if the transactions are metered and charged via pipedream and not externally by vendors.
- This will encourage more vendors - who have knowledge on integrations and coding to embrace the system - thus increasing user base.
- Can be additional income stream for pipedream.
- Increases the open source components in the library as well.
- Public library need to be monitored for any unethical publications such as copying someone else, redundant - similar type of components, components having malicious intent etc.
Let me know your thoughts. Happy to discuss further.